Monday, March 1, 2010

Ag Mind vs. Ag Student

As some of you may know, I am currently pledging the VT chapter of Block and Bridle. For those of you who don't know, it is an agriculture based club for animal husbandry.

Part of pledging is making a "B" out of wood, decorating it all up, and getting a billion and one signatures on it. So... I have found myself wandering the halls of Litton Reeves, the ag (agriculture for you up and coming folks) building on campus, looking for faculty members to sign my "B." In doing so, I find myself getting the strangest looks.

Let me first inform you of proper "sign this damn thing" procedure. *Shake Hands* "Hi! My name is Kelsey Pecsek. I am from Virginia Beach. I'm a junior in Communication. Will you please sign my B?"

I get to "junior in" without a problem, but when the word "Communication" leaves my lips... I could tell them I just killed someone and they wouldn't hear me. The blank, astonished look baffles me.

This brings me to my point of the day... What is the difference between an Ag mind and an Ag student?

I'm not going to try and convince you of an answer, but I want to give you some things to think about.

An ag mind is one that thinks about agriculture. That probably goes a little without saying, but when you really address the idea... Does it? If you think you are ag minded, do you live your life thinking about agriculture and how the things you do are intertwined in it? Prime Example: I went shopping with my roomie last night, and when we were looking at what package of cheese to buy, the college student in us was screaming "CHEAP." Well, she was smart enough to look a little closer at the labels, and the ag mind was screaming "100% Farmer Owned!" We bought the Borden... their proceeds go to American dairy farms.

An ag student is taking ag classes, on the surface. But does being enrolled in agricultural classes make you a true ag student? If you are a true ag student, you aren't in the classroom to get the grade. You are sitting in the room, absorbing every ounce of information the teacher can give you, taking thorough notes, and constantly analyzing how the facts you are being given can be used in your future. Prime Example: I am in Intro to the Equine Industry. I have an extensive knowledge of a lot of horse information, but I also realize there is a plethora I know little to nothing about. When I walk into the room, I record everything I can and try to allow the lecture to sink in, knowing it will help me in my life and career with horses.

Now that we understand each concept better, is there a huge struggle between ag minds and ag students? Granted there are people who fall into both categories, but why is it such a conflict? Why do professors in the ag department feel that giving me an alien look is appropriate just because my major doesn't center around agriculture? Is it better to be one or the other? These are all questions I have rolling around now...

So now that you have a little to think about, go out, ponder these questions... See if you're ag minded. Try and figure out if you're a true ag student. I anticipate several of you will say "I am both," but deep in your thoughts you may question yourself a little after debating these concepts. Please don't be too hard on yourselves... you are probably ten times more attentive to agriculture than the average citizen, but we all have room for improvement, including me.

Soooo... go kiss a cow or something... :-)

1 comment:

  1. Very thought provoking. If Tech offered an actual Agricultural Communications degree this wouldn't be a problem. The blank stare would instead be a smile along with an "I'd be happy to." Then you wouldn't have to travel two Hokie roads to get to the agricultural comminications highway.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think about all of this?